OUR NEXT MEETING

We meet the 4th Saturday of the month at 12 noon. Due to the Holiday we meet the second Saturday of December. We will post if a meeting is cancelled. Contact the guild for directions.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

QCC March meeting

Hi all, Hope everyone has gotten the notice of the meeting place change. If you haven't please contact me or Nancy. Here is the supply list from Kathy: Sorry this is so late. We will be working with layered translucents and resin to create pendants. Please bring your normal tools. Supply list: Translucent clay - 2 blocks Pearl clay 1 - block Colored pearl clay - assorted colors A combination of the following: canes, small charms, swarovski crystals, buttons. I will be providing pendants (2 each), ICE resin, gloves. I will have additional pendants available for $1 apiece. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Friday, March 10, 2017

March meeting important announcement

Our March 2017 meeting will not be at our usual meeting place. Cheryl will be out of town. Kathy will be doing the demo. More info to follow. Please contact me or Nancy to let us know if you plan to attend. Thanks, Maggie

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Feb 2017
Business:  Into The Forest submissions deadline is the first week (or so) of April 2017.  Address to send your items to:  Laura Tabakman, 137 Alleyne Drive, Pittsburgh, PA, 15215. 
Dues are due in April and will stay at the $15 for the year.  Cheryl is now our treasurer and will be taking your monies.  March demo will be presented by Kathy Hood.  Unsure at present what she plans to demo.  I'm certain she will have a supply list before the meeting.

Julie did a great demo for the group on leaves and pods.  We were shown several easy and useful ways to use spare (scrap) clay as well as the usual out of the package clay!  Wonderful demo on leaves and pods and her display leaves were awesome.  Her pods were fantastic as well.  We were busy in no time making our own creations.  Maggie also did a quick demo on a quick "magic" leaf cane using a bullseye cane.  So many useful techniques to practice!  Thanks Julie and Maggie for taking the time to show us these fantastic methods.  Julie also wanted all to browse this demo on a new pod that there is a demo on:  http://youtu.be/gWpaxwmi-Ko

Attendees:  Cheryl, Maggie, Julie, Kathy, Nancy, Brian, Sally, Michele

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

 Julie will be demo-ing for Into the Forest.  The is a global collaboration that myself, Laura Tabakman and Emily Squires Levine are working on which will be displayed in Pittsburgh in Nov, 2017.   I will show some leaf cane ideas, pods and maybe some other organic shapes.  The tools needed will be your standard clay kit - pasta machine, surface, blades, rollers etc.  you will need clay.  Be creative or stick with nature what ever you want.  Translucent works well with leaves.  You can bring inks to tint or just use pieces of clay.  A large ball stylus can come in handy for the pods.  Also bring old canes or scrap and I will show a modified Stroppel cane you can use.  I will try to give as much as I can but still leave time to finish.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

January Meet-Up

Business:  Cheryl has stepped down from being out VP.  She will take over the treasurer spot when Jennie leaves and that seems to be immediate.  We voted and Laurie will be our standing VP and we all wish her well.  (Pattie said she would help should Laurie not be able to do all the duties).  Great teamwork. That is exactly what we need.  Next demo will be with Julie.  We are going to make things for "into the forest".  Come prepared for fun and if you have never seen a leaf cane; pretty certain that will be one of the things that will be shown! All things you might see on the forest floor are acceptable!

Thoughts thrown out there:  We need more individuals to participate.  Those in charge need to know what you want to learn and where you are trying to get to, with your skills.  A list was passed in case someone had a desire that they learn something, but keep this in mind.  Don't be still; let everyone know if there is something you want to know how to do.  There could be one of us that knows how to do that very thing!  Relax and open up with each other.  We are a GROUP.  Also, in case it hasn't been said before; we realize that there are some that already know or have no interest in the on going demo.  There is not an issue with you coming and working on your own projects.  Remember this.  Our demo presenters will try not to be sensitive should you go your own way!  :)  There is always a rebel amongst us!  We try to realize some are more or less advanced in their process than others, and we all try to fit together and enjoy.

We had a great group show up for the meeting to learn Viking Knit.  Jennie was so kind to take the time and effort to show us all how to begin and end the projects.  She provided everything needed to get started as well.  Everyone had their dowels and wire and were working those wires and making great progress.  Cheryl was 2nd in command of helping out and she was keeping us all on track.  It was a fantastic demo.  Thanks Jennie for being so good to us.

Attendees:  Jennie, Laurie, Pattie, Christine, Maggie, Vicky, Cheryl, Michele, Marsha, Sally, Kathleen, Nancy and Kathy.  Welcome to the new group members!  So glad to have all show and participate!

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

January Meeting

Materials for Viking Knit Demo for January 28, 2017

Please bring the following if you have it available:

Cutters
Needle nose pliers
20 GA wire
24 GA wire
Awl
Old Credit Card or gift card
Painters tape
Clasp
End Caps (these could be bullet caps or cones. Whichever you have available)

I will have some available but it will help if you bring your own tools.

I will provide all wire for you to complete a bracelet.

The following will be available for sale:

24 Ga Wire
20 Ga Wire
Dowel Set
Draw Plate

Some findings. Whatever I have available.


See you all then. Jenny

P.S.  This is a finishing technique for your Polymer clay art / jewelry.  We will not be doing any Polymer clay so u will not need your basic clay kit.   Cheryl

Saturday, December 17, 2016

December Meet-up 2016

Party!  There was a great turn out for the party and great fun forming ornaments.  Julie Eakes provided glass ornaments and cut pieces from some of her canes to use.  Many had made ornaments previous to the meet up and were showing off their goods.  There was tremendous skill and art shown.  Unfortunately I have managed to lose the pics and cannot share!  Breaks my heart!  Jennie took time to show a couple techniques to some of the girls during the meet up.  Jennie claims to be a beginner however she is quite skilled and if you missed her quick demo; please get with her and request a review. There were several give a way items and names were drawn and those lucky individuals went home with fab goodies!  Everyone had a good time that got to attend.  Food was prevalent and varied and everyone found something they liked.  Great job everyone!

Business:  January Jennie will be showing us all how to do Viking knit with wire.  She will provide what we need for this experience.  She did mention that if you have old credit cards, pliers, cutters, and 24 gauge wire this could be useful however she has pledged to see that we have what we need to learn this technique.  Two new members this month, Brian Woolweber and Michelle Efird.  Welcome and we are pleased you will be joining and participating.  February will be a meeting to make things for "The Forest".  Julie has taken this time and will demo what she has completed and how to go about making similar leaves I believe.  She says they need LOTS of leaves for this project. 

Attendees:  Robin, Julie, Pattie, Maggie, Cheryl-Ashville & Cheryl-Charlotte, Jennie, Christine, Lynn, Brian, Diane, Michelle, Laurie, Michelle, Brian and Nancy